kernel 2.6.25 hanging at boot

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:06:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have been having problems with kernel 2.6.25 on F8
with my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop. The boot sometimes freezes.

It just writes:

Decompressing Linux ....done.
Booting the kernel.

and then hangs forever, and I have to press the power down button.

The interesting thing is that if I suppress the quiet option in
/etc/grub.conf
to have a verbose boot, It does not hang (so it seems).

This makes me believe that this extra printing introduces a small delay
in the boot process, giving time to something initialize properly,

Does this make any sense at all? Could it be some kind of race condition?

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ