Request to re-add option to disable SELinux

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 21:50:11 UTC 2008

Suren Karapetyan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 13:27 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Suren Karapetyan wrote:
>>> I just can't understand why it was removed.
>>> If the answer is "to make it more secure" maybe we should also set root
>>> fs encryption on by default and remove the checkbox?
>>> It will become more secure...
>> You cannot immediately and easily turn that off after installation; you can with
>> selinux, so these are nowhere near the same thing.
> If You're smart enough to edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and turn it off
> You're not far from decrypting the system.
>
> Anyway that wasn't even my main point.
> Whom did that damned combo box upset so much it needed to be thrown
> away?
>
> EVERYBODY who used to disable SELinux when the combo-box was there will
> STILL disable it. We didn't get ANYTHING from removing that *feature*.
> It just makes the lives of some of us harder.

I agree it should be there once installed, but I don't think it needs to be
there before/during installation.  Installation should be simple and selinux is
anything but; asking whether to turn it on or off there makes no sense.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29