trying to build rpm for google gears

brad longo Bl0ngo067 at aim.com
Sat Jul 5 23:42:54 UTC 2008

David Van Assche wrote:
> Hi there,
>    I'm working with OLPC (one laptop per child) and am trying to port
> Google Gears to Sugar (running on Fedora 9) so that we can start
> working on some offline web based apps (like Offline Moodle.) Ive
> managed to get a subversion checkout of the source code for google
> gears, and managed to successfully compile it, noting down required
> dependencies and the like. It was suggested to me that I should post
> here to see if someone doesn't have some suggestions on building an
> rpm for mozilla (xulrunner 1.9) based extensions...
>    I am aware that gears is normally packaed as a .xpi, but that wont
> work for the XO laptops... it must be a rpm that I can install system
> wide from the command line. Any help is much appreciated. I'm pretty
> new to building rpms, as I come from a debian based background, but
> I'm sure its not all that different from building debs...
>
> Kind Regards,
> David Van Assche
> OLE Nepal and OLPC
I don't know much about building an rpm for mozilla based extensions,
but if you need a place to start on familiarizing yourself with rpm's I
wrote a tutorial in my blog
<http://bradlongo.wordpress.com/rpmbuild-tutorial/> recently on how to
create one.  I learned how to package rpms myself from rpm.org
<http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/>.  If you know how to make a deb package
you shouldn't have too much trouble.  Good luck.

-- Brad