kernel build failures.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Jul 6 21:36:54 UTC 2008

The kernel build started failing a few days ago, but due
to the holidays, I only just got around to looking at it.
Here's how it's failing..

+ make mandocs
  DOCPROC Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.xml
  MAN     Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.9
xmlto: input does not validate (status 3)
/builddir/build/BUILD/kernel-2.6.25/linux-2.6.25.noarch/Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.xml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
	"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" []>
	                                                              ^
warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
validity error : Could not load the external subset "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
Document /builddir/build/BUILD/kernel-2.6.25/linux-2.6.25.noarch/Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.xml does not validate

I believe what's happening here is that the builders don't have access to the internet,
so it's failing to download the DTD.   This has been the case always though, so I'm
not sure why it started failing now.  Perhaps xmlto only recently started trying to
retrieve the DTD ?

I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.
I could just add a copy of the dtd to cvs, and edit the .xml files
to point to the local copies instead of trying to retrieve online ones,
but this sucks because
- it's one more thing to keep track of to make sure it's kept up to date
- it's one more set of patches that we'll perpetually have to carry against
  the kernel that won't go upstream.

The only other alternative I see is to stop building the man pages, which also
sucks, given it was a fairly recent (and worthwhile) addition.

Any thoughts?

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk