Install dies at waiting for hardware to init - sorta

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 15:30:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:21:33AM -0500, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> Any work-a-rounds or is this a bug? I'd like to learn how to do this
> without pulling the HighPoint cards for the install?

You will probably need to pull the rocketraid cards, and you'll almost
certainly need to avoid putting Linux anywhere near them.

To quote Mark Lord on the kernel list

"And the Highpoint RocketRAID cards are a similarly dubious choice,
as their onboard BIOS is known to corrupt filesystems before Linux
is even booted.

In particular, an "unconfigured" drive -- just plugged into a RR card
without entering the BIOS setup to configure a RAID -- gets sector 8 overwritten by the BIOS. This will destroy GRUB if it was installed.
And for drives which *have* been configured in the RR BIOS,
it overwrites a sector at the end of the final full GB on the drive,
for holding RR metadata."

~