New PackageKit and gnome-packagekit in F9 soon

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:52:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 18:08 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Please test these packages, and report any bugs on email (reply to this
> thread please), rather than the admin update page. When we've got quite
> a bit of testing and ironed out and regressions then I'll push to
> stable.

I've been using rawhide snapshots for a while and when I noticed these
upgrades in koji, I "downgraded" to the F9 version. So far seems stable,
no real issues noticed, only some not-so-intuitive behaviour during
installing local rpms:

 * It always asks for authentication and there is no option to remember
the authentication when it discovers thath the package is not signed. Is
it intentional?

 * The window with update progress closes itself after I give the needed
permissions to install and as a result I am not notified of the update
result. I can reopen the window via the notify icon though...

Hm... come to think of it, I just remembered it does not say the
installation failed if some pre/post-install scriplet failed. I noticed
it while upgrading broken intel driver package multiple times, until
finally discovering in command line (yum update), that actually some
scriplet was giving and error. Btw. the said package was fixed rather
promptly. Yum seems to be OK with failing scriplets (i.e. finishes the
update/install/remove of other packages and marks the installation as
success), so this might not be PackageKit fault.

Martin