Request to re-add option to disable SELinux - compromise

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 21:28:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM, jeff <moe at blagblagblag.org> wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>>
>> The whole discussion is pointless ... the option is not gone you *can*
>> disable it after install if you want.
>
> You *could* disable it at install time too, easily. It would likely install
> faster as well.

You could set stuff like display resolution at install time too .. and
we got rid of it, which is a good thing imho.
Why should it be faster?

>> Let me repeat this again you *can* still disable it if you want,
>> nobody is forcing you to use it.
>
> Yes, I know that.

Fine, where is the problem than?

>> Asking everything at install time is just wrong and confusing for average
>> users.
>
> I agree. That's why my proposal doesn't ask anything at install time, thus
> the average user doesn't have to confront the issue. As a parallel example,
> I offer how xfs/jfs/reiserfs are available, but the user isn't prompted.
>
> In my solution the average user wouldn't be confused at all because they
> wouldn't see it--just like they don't see xfs/jfs/reiserfs options.

Which shouldn't be the case but that's a different topic.

>> Add adding some hidden anaconda option only to save 1-2min for people
>> that want to disable something doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Well, it would actually save more than 1-2 min.
Well changing one line in /etc/selinux/config can't take much longer ;)

> And it really isn't a hidden
> anaconda option, it's just having anaconda pass that to grub. Anaconda
> already has some support for this, it just doesn't pass it to grub. It may
> be a simple one-liner in anaconda.
Well the options get passed to the kernel not to anaconda, it just
parses (abuses) the kernel cmdline for stuff like this. (which isn't a
bad thing in general)