New PackageKit and gnome-packagekit in F9 soon

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:32:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 19:18 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've built new builds of PackageKit and gnome-packagekit and moved
> > them into updates-testing. The new major version is hopefully much
> > better from a UI perspective and hopefully much more stable but is an
> > API break from 0.1.x.
> >
> > The builds for F9 are here:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=54830
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=54886
>
> I have been testing them since I saw them in koji.
> 1) Seems to be better than 0.1.x branch UI wise
>
> Some things that needs to be improved:
> 1) The "getting information" applet shouldn't show up unless there are
> updates or work being done, but the "getting information" after login
> / connecting to a network is pointless.

Sometimes it takes a while to get the update list if we have to download
new files - do you get the applet icon otherwise?

> 2) I tryed to delete multple package at once but after pressing the
> apply button it started to resolve deps in the background without
> showing any feedback to the user for ~30 sec
> (the user might think it did nothing and keep clicking on  the apply button),

Valid. Could you file a bug in RH bugzilla please (so I remember), and
I'll sort it in 0.2.4 after I get back from GUADEC.

> 3) The rpm post script is noisy (some media stuff can't remember)

Right, I'll take a look at that too.

Thanks for the help,

Richard.