FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-07-03

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 01:35:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 19:27 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 21:45 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Brian Pepple <bpepple <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> > >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F10PolicyReview#Better_Test_Plans
> > >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F10PolicyReview#Empty_Feature_Page_Sections
> >
> > Ugh, developers _already_ struggle with filling in all the sections, which
> > sometimes simply don't apply to the feature, how is even more bureaucracy going
> > to help? Let me take a past feature as an example (for lack of ability to
> > predict the future): try writing a complete detailed test plan for
> > FeatureKDE4... And no, you don't have 3 years to write it and I don't think the
> > wiki will scale to megabytes of text in a single feature page. ;-) And in
> > addition to sections just not relevant to the specific feature, there's also
> > the issue of developer time being wasted on bureaucracy, time which not all
> > developers have: the FeatureKDE4 page ended up as complete as it now is because
> > we spent lots of time on it, some feature pages are in a much worse state, and
> > I don't think pressure like the above "process improvements" is going to help,
> > because this isn't laziness, it's genuine lack of time.
>
> Think about it this way: it means that there will be no features ready
> for approval when the time comes. So as a side-effect it achieves the
> "Reduce FESco overhead" goal...

While I realize you were making a sarcastic remark, I would like to
point out that we (FESCo) didn't even discuss that "goal" during the
meeting.  John added that right before the meeting trying to be nice to
us and we didn't even think it worth discussing because of other points
brought up by the other goals and the fact that Features are decided
FESCo's _job_.

josh