InstantMirror Redesign / current best /simplest way to achieve

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 16:12:02 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> refresh_pattern repodata/.*$    0       0%      0
>> refresh_pattern .*rpm$    0     0%      0
>>
>> Also with any squid.conf you will need these lines in order to guarantee
>> that your repodata and RPMS stay consistent with your upstream source. This
>> is because proxies do not handle data changing without changing the
>> filename.
>>
>> Warren Togami
>> wtogami at redhat.com
>

> Ok thanks, what I did was comment out the mirror list url, and just
> use the base url. I'll add those refresh patterns, but doesn't the
> second one effectively turn of caching of *.rpm?

Not exactly.  It checks with the source server on every request if the
data changed, but it doesn't re-download the entire thing.  The only way
we could do this without checking the upstream source is if all
filenames on the mirrors changed every time their contents change.  This
is possible and we considered this for repodata, but decided against it
because it would have broke earlier clients.  This is also currently not
possible with the RPMS themselves.  Hence the need for refresh_pattern
rules.

refresh_pattern images/.*$    0       0%      0

I just realized that you probably want this additional rule to provide
the same guarantees for stage2.img and other stuff in that directory.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com