Fedora, meet OLPC. OLPC, meet Fedora.

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Tue Jul 8 20:58:20 UTC 2008

Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> These packages are either unavailable in Fedora, or are currently being
>>> maintained, poorly, by overworked OLPC engineers who can't invest enough
>>> time to do them justice. There are lots of simple issues that even novice
>>> packagers could handle. Missing or broken dependencies. Creation of
>>> dead-simple activity packages. And so on.
>> I think we need an overriding goal.  Can we get a Fedora Sugar Desktop
>> Spin for standard pc hardware on the map and a SIG organized around
>> that effort? Would that put the right people together in the same
>> headspace to start working on packaging activities?
>
> A SIG wiki page in general would be good with things like a kickstart
> file to build the client version and the server version. It would
> allow easy testing for things like depedency creep for core packages
> and the like.
>
> Peter

I just wanted to mention [1] and [2]: In our last meeting (which took
already place some time ago, maybe we should have one very soon), the
Education SIG talked about the possibility of having a sugar-based
education spin - [1] is the log. I have drawn up a roadmap [2], which
also lists that possibility. At the time we had this meeting, we did
some testing, but there were quite few Sugar / OLPC packages in
Fedora... maybe all this helps to improve the situation there.

CU
Sebastian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education/Meetings/2008-05-09
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education/Roadmap