Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 14:07:14 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 06:51:15 am Panu Matilainen wrote:
> 7) Two new macros, %{patches} and %{sources} are supported in rpmbuild.
>     In other words, you can now do things like:
>        for p in %{patches}; do
>        done
>     Just keep in mind that using these in your spec will make the it
>     incompatible with rpm 4.4.x versions.

Rock! The addition of %{patches} alone would reduce the size of the kernel
spec by a pretty hefty amount. I've always hated having to specify every
damned patch two times.

Its annoying in the Fedora kernel specs, and outright obnoxious in RHEL, where
the patches obviously add up a LOT over time... For example, RHEL5.2's kernel
spec has like 1800 patches in it. 1800 less lines is a Very Good Thing. (Nb:
I'm not suggesting this be backported to RHEL5, I was thinking more in terms
of when RHEL6 rolls around).

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com