OLPC & package dependency growth

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 9 15:44:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 16:10 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> We could sure use some scripts to anaylse RPM deps on a nightly basis
> and produces reports on interesting stats. eg disk footprint of the
> chain starting from package 'X', or list of dependancies from package
> 'X', or perhaps something that given a kickstart file can report
> the total size of the package set listed in the kickstart without
> actually going through the full livecd (or equiv) build process. We
> are fighting a similar battle to OLPC with the oVirt project which
> has a live CD we're trying to keep under 64 MB in size.

Taking a list of pkgs, resolving out all of their deps then calculating
installed size (not calculating vs an existing install, but raw
installed size) shouldn't take too much code at all. I'll see what I can
hack up today.

It won't take into account overlaid files (like docs and manpages, nor
multilib binaries) but it should give you a pretty good upper range
(sort of).

-sv