Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 16:41:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:51 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> 4) BuildRoot from spec is ignored. Rpm now defaults to buildroot under
>>     %{_topdir}/BUILDROOT/
>
> A few questions here:
>
> Is the BuildRoot from the spec ignored, or does it override the default
> buildroot?

BuildRoot from spec is completely ignored.

> Is the default buildroot literally "%{_topdir}/BUILDROOT/" or is it
> something more complicated. I could easily see a case where two
> concurrent rpm builds could step on each other's buildroots.

The default buildroot is currently defined literally this way:
%buildrootdir   %{_topdir}/BUILDROOT
%buildroot 	%{_buildrootdir}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{_arch}

Concurrent rpm builds shouldn't step on each others toes, unless you're
sharing your %_topdir with other people (in which case you'd better know
what you're doing anyway :)

 	- Panu -