OLPC & package dependency growth

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 19:38:16 UTC 2008

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I basically do this with some scripts against the live cds which I build
> > (nearly) daily.  I could work on actually getting that information into
> > a more consumable form rather than just doing it on an "I saw the livecd
> > grew, what happened this time" basis
>
> I would imagine this will be generally useful for anyone working on a spin.
> How automated can you make your scripts and can we tie them into the
> daily rawhide gearage?

There's not really a good way right now to tie "build a livecd" into the
rawhide build process, much less "build a large set of livecds".  Unless
you want to make rawhide take far longer to build which seems like
something we don't want.  Plus, even then, it's a matter of human
analysis, not just having the data

> Would you be able to automate this to run daily
> against a collection of kickstart file targets to estimate total
> packageset size and then poop that out those number as a data point on
> a time history graph to be displayed at a fedoraproject url?

The total package set size isn't interesting with a live image because
you then have the compression on top of that.  So 20 megs of additional
installed package size could end up only being 2 megs on the iso or it
could end up being 20.

Jeremy