Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 21:56:57 UTC 2008

Doug Ledford wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 10:19 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> There's absolutely nothing blocking you from sitting down with a
>> checkout of current code
>
> I did that.  And then this huge update comes out of the blue (to me
> anyway) due to the total disconnect between upstream SCM management and
> our management.  Not that I was complaining about the update in my
> previous mails, I was complaining about the statement that since it
> needs stabilized that it can't even tolerate some new headers (that
> being all I asked for).  But I do find it to be a fitting example of why
> our SCM practices are in need of updating.

No.  This is a failure of you to practice good sense with the current
tools.  You are aware that the current tools don't reflect the state of
the upstream development since they are coming out of tarballs.  So why
do you expect what we have in our downstream repository to reflect what
is going on upstream?

>>  and starting to make your changes so that you
>> can submit some code against the updated branch to the rpm maintainers
>> when the current release is out the door.  No, it will not get into F10
>> but I highly doubt that Fedora Policy to allow using source control
>> repos interchangably with tarballs would be approved in time for F10 either.
>
> Good God, how long does it take you guys to make a policy decision?
> Should I submit a proposal and plan to argue it until F12 or some such
> crap?

Well, We could always just say no without discussion if that makes you
happier:-)

Seriously, making use of this kind of functionality is a huge change in
the expectations we have for what a source package is.  Seeing as
jcollie and I weren't able to sell people on making our SCM hold
exploded trees of the source from tarballs, I think that having rpms
that are created from SCM checkouts without the tarball intermediary are
likely to meet with a lot of resistance.

-Toshio