Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 22:08:43 UTC 2008

2008/7/11 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> Seriously, making use of this kind of functionality is a huge change in the
> expectations we have for what a source package is.  Seeing as jcollie and I
> weren't able to sell people on making our SCM hold exploded trees of the
> source from tarballs, I think that having rpms that are created from SCM
> checkouts without the tarball intermediary are likely to meet with a lot of
> resistance.

We pass on a significant burden with regard to source distribution, to
anyone re-distributing Fedora media or install images. I'd like to
make sure that I understand how rpms created from SCM check-outs
impact our ability and downstream distributor's ability to meet that
burden.  If we aren't doing something to cache a copy of the
corresponding source that acts like our current look aside cache, I
would need someone to explain to me how this sort of thing impacts the
ability of a downstream distributor to meet the source distribution
requirements... using extremely small words.

-jef