Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Jul 13 07:03:22 UTC 2008

2008/7/13 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:

> How about the 9/10th of packages I've been involved with since I used
> RHL or Fedora (I think I've passed my decade of use and packaging now)?

Part of Fedora's role in the larger Free Software community is to drive
convergence and improvements in upstream projects.  This manifests in
various ways, such as getting projects onto the same shared library
versions, etc.  In this instance, if our tooling could be signinficantly
improved by using revision control instead of tarballs (and I definitely
believe that is the case) we can help move upstream.

For example in GNOME it would not be a large workflow change to make it a
hard requirement that tarball releases on ftp.gnome.org have a predictable
correspondingly named SVN (or hopefully later git) tag.