No answer to easy bug policy

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Jul 14 16:19:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:48:35AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:42 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > That's not what my experience is. Bug with fix not acted upon is almost
> > always by people @ redhat. But I really don't want to start a flamewar
> > about who are the good and the bad guys I want a policy for bug with
> > fixes.
>
> Whilst I do like that you're trying to solve this problem, I think one
> big hole here is who decides that the "fix" is either easy, or right?

There is nothing about the fix being right. The criterion is having a
fix. These 3 situation may qualify for a bug easy to fix:

* a patch is proposed, attached to the bug, and tested
* a trivial change is proposed to the .spec, preferably tested
* help is offered, with different possibilities outlined, but the
  maintainer has to ack or specify his preferences for the style of the
  proposed fix, so that the contributor can create a suitable patch

Of course this is not a formal definition, but I think it is quite easy
to delineate.

I hope that contributors won't abuse the recourse to this policy, of
course.

--
Pat