Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 14 17:19:19 UTC 2008

Doug Ledford <dledford <at> redhat.com> writes:
> The magic words above were "(or get them packaged)".  Our separate SCM
> setup really just means they don't want to futz with it.  However, if
> the process for an upstream developer was more like:
>
> Develop in their own SCM, push SCM changes to (Fedora/Debian/SuSE
> repos), kick off build process in (Fedora/Debian/SuSE), done.

They'd still have to update the specfile (or equivalent, e.g. the debian/
directory) for the individual distribution. Uploading the tarball isn't the
hard part of packaging, it can even be scripted (and I also don't see how it
would be any easier to push the SCM changes than to upload the release
tarball), updating the specfiles is.

        Kevin Kofler