Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 20:08:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 19:22 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> "Lets add some new tags and see if we can fit a design + implementation to
> them later" does not fly very well with me. RPM has enough examples of
> useless (and unused) tags already (quite possibly because they're easier
> to add than argue), I'm not particularly interested in adding more.

Also, it's easy to add new tags in the private, external range (100000+)
for doing things and then when things are working, it's easy to then
move them to be real assigned header tags.

Think of adding a new header tag as like adding a new syscall.  Once
added, they can't be removed.  So the idea is to make sure that the
implementation and usage is sound before they're added.  But there's a
range for experimenting and finding out what works available also

Jeremy