Fedora, OLPC, and Sugar Labs

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 16:04:47 UTC 2008

Hi Bryan,

2008/7/15 Bryan Kearney <bkearney at redhat.com>:
> Point me at the instructions for building.. and I will spit out the
> appliance for you.

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

I think there's not much more to it than starting with an empty
appliance (with a BIOS?) and installing the distro of your choice. On
top of that you would install the Sugar stuff, then save the resulting
machine image.

You might want to start with the Fedora images above.

I can't take the credit for the link above, but I have used his VMs
from time to time.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be along shortly with warnings of
legal implications and so on :) Even if you don't publish an image as
such (for whatever reasons, legal, disk space, bandwidth or whatever),
a clear set of instructions that have been tested and proven would be
very useful.

My children all use Fedora and I'd be keen to show them Sugar so long
as it's an easy install. If there was a VMWare image I could probably
show it to representatives at the school too. I suppose how well it
would be received would depend on the fit with the curriculum, but
it's worth a try.

-Cam