process wakeups

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 19:13:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:22:09AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >>   uid | poll select  epoll itimer  futex nanosle signal| process
> >>  2397 |   16      0      0      0      0       0      0| libvirtd
> >
> > This isn't libvirtd's fault - we don't use any timeouts, and only
> > break out of poll() if there's real work todo.
>
> The script counts returns from poll() where no file descriptor is ready.
>  This is no count of all poll() calls.

Sorry I wasn't being clear. The call to poll() with a 0 second timeout
is an artifact of the way the DBus/Avahi/event loop integration works.
It gets a wakeup on a file descriptor, processes some messages and then
does one iteration through the main loop with a 0 second timeout to
flush out the queues, before finally going back to sleep for events on
its file descriptors. As such the poll() with timeout is harmless - the
process was already awake at this point. Its the wakeup from irrelevant
DBus signals that's the real problem that needs to be addressed - once
that's solved the poll() will timeout won't be done.

Daniel