Fedora Spins and "where will this end?"

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 15 21:18:24 UTC 2008

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

> By the way: I think, the question is also: Who is going to use all these
> spins? Is the average user downloading three different education spins?
> Or isn't he just moving to another distribution with an all-in-one
> solution?

That's a false dichotomy. The fundamental qualification to be considered
a Fedora spin is that packages are already part of the Fedora repository
which means that the Fedora already has the all-in-one solution. Spins
merely provide a convenient starting point for those interested. Perhaps
you will be interested in

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins/What_is_a_spin
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Spins

> We had such a discussion in one of the education SIG meetings...
> somebody predicted teachers asking their students to insert spin 17B for
> the current lesson.

If it is a meaningful and valuable spin (as determined by Spin SIG and
others) then that's perfectly fine.

Rahul