Using git to maintain patches [was Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:57:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure the learning curve will always seem incredibly steep - as
> we figure out the best way of doing this stuff and more people become
> comfortable with it, I'm sure that it would become just as easy a
> methodology to pick up as tarball+patches ... which isn't exactly a walk
> in the park the first time you do it, either, if you think back.

I just want to make sure the people who end up making the new vcs
style packaging option available to keep the transition initial
condition in mind.  We will need a best practices document to help
educate people to move patches over the 'right' way.  We want that
sort of transitional document available before this goes live for
contributors to use. It will be much easier to re-educate people
before they build new bad habits.  Not impossible, but we just can't
forget to do this.

-jef