Fedora Spins and "where will this end?"

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jul 16 19:45:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:31:20PM +0200, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> [...] EDU Math spin was born.[...] Warren announced a K12LTSP spin
> including his LTSP5-work [3], even if I don't know, how the current
> state is there [4]. [...] The Astronomy SIG is preparing an
> astronomy spin, too. [...] an OLPC (or more specific: a sugar-based)
> spin more than soon [...] There might be still some place for an
> Fedora Education Language Spin (hey, why don't why split this one
> up? - Fedora Education Language English and Fedora Education
> Language German spin are awaiting their maintainers!)...
>
> Sorry, this might somehow sound inappropriate, but that is just the way
> it is. Don't get me wrong - I'm even myself a member of the Spin SIG and
> I applaud everyone's efforts to make use of this innovative technology -
> and I'm not going to blame anyone for his/her work, but still: I think
> it's obvious that we're going to run into trouble that way...
>
> What do you think?

Personally as a user I'd prefer a less fragmented landscape,
especially in the broader educational institutions like schools.

OTOH the spin technology gets more throughput and gets improved and
astronomers and mathematician, LTSP and OLPC can be on their own
independent release schedules.

So in the end you have a users vs developers problem. But IMHO I'd say
let the spins do their start and then we can discuss about how to merge
them. From a naive POV I would think that for example merging math and
astro/phys spins should be just a collation of package lists and then
maybe a space problem (e.g. no CD spin, straight-to-DVD).

But for some special technolgies like LTSP or OLPC which go beyond
package collations [1] I see a clear need for their own scheduling
until they become standard components.

My advice: Perhaps some spin people don't know that there are similar
spinning efforts (like math and astro folks), and if they do get to
know that they might join up forces. So having a spin coordinator that
introduces the various groups to each other sounds like a good idea
(and sounds like his first name should be Sebastian :). But other than
that, if the groups prefer to spin alone, let them and they can still
later discover each other.

[1] I'm not lowering math/astro/lang spins, but LTSP/OLPC are almost
    upstream spins hot from development to testing users
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net