Strange mock behaviour - buildrequires in the host?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 04:20:35 UTC 2008

Hi,

while building some packages for the OLPC XS I am seeing some odd
behaviour from Mock. I am not certain whether this is expected...

1 - The F9 host had httpd installed (unbeknownst to me)
2 - The install script in the package was (wrongly) trying to do
install -o apache /file - which errored out "no such user"
3 - Adding a BuildRequires to the spec file fixed the problem - mock
installed httpd in the chroot - however, install would still fail as
it was not running as root.
4 - I spotted httpd on the host and removed it. I can no longer build
the package - "httpd is needed by ds-backup-x-y-z..."

There are 2 weird things in here for me:

- In step 4 - the host environment not having httpd should not affect
the build chroot.

- In step 3, I was expecting the rpmbuild running the "install" target
inside mock to be using fakeroot or something similar.

Apologies in advance if these questions are basic - a review of the
Mock wiki and man pages did not help, and my rpm packaging skills have
last been used in late 2000.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions