Heads up - Mono

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 21:12:30 UTC 2008

18. jul. 2008 22.50 skrev Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com>:

> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 22:37 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
>

> > If we can manage to push it out as one big update, then I don't see
> > how having the same mono stack, with all the fixes that has gone into
> > Mono 2.0 would be a bad thing.
>
> Cramming major-version updates of default system components into a
> stable release is not something to be done lightly. Fedora 10 is only 3
> months away; I think this should wait 'til then, unless someone can
> convince me it's worth the pain of breaking ABI and rebuilding a whole
> mess of packages.
>
> "It's newer!" isn't a very strong argument.

Then how about: what we ship right now in F9 is a preview release to this
update, having the same Mono throughout our releases is easier to maintain..
this is aside the bugfixes and memory usage/performance enhancements that
come with Mono 2.0, all things that will in the end benefit Fedora and our
users. Also pushing newer versions of the stack will enable us to support
applications more widely across the stack.

It's not like we have no done this before, hell the KDE people AFAIK are
doing it right now with KDE 4.1 and the matching QT release (at least if I
read their announcement correct, if not forgive me).

This is naturally all depending on the opinion of the maintainers in
question, I merely asked out of interest.