Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 23:02:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Tim Jackson <lists at timj.co.uk> wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> We have several options for the Fedora 10 codename, and you get to help
>> decide which we use!
>
> Please may we have an additional option "None"?
>
> I cannot see any useful purpose for this other than to make
> non-technical or new users wonder why we have two names for one piece of
> software, one of which nobody uses and doesn't appear to bear any
> resemblance to anything other than some bad, cliquey in-joke.
>
> Fortunately we don't use it *quite* as prominently as some other Linux
> distributions (why on earth would I want to admit to someone that I use
> an operating system called "potato"?) but these names still make me cringe.

Because Potato is awesome?  Potato was the first Linux distribution I
used and will always hold a special place in my heart.  I don't know
it as anything but Potato.  I willingly will admit I used Potato, and
would gladly go back if there were no security or compatibility
issues.

Not to mention potatoes are tasty and a good source of fiber and other
nutrition. ;)

-Yaakov