Package EVR problems in Fedora 2008-07-21

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 12:23:22 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:

Firstly thanks for running the script. As I feared, a rather large number
of problems, but that only means it was needed more rather than less :-)

> That said, it might also be worth doing this in two runs.  One that
> takes the view of F8, F8-updates, f9-updates  and another than takes the
> view of F8-updates-testing, F9-updates-testing.

I think that would be sensible, because it makes it easier to see and
prioritise the most important ones (that is, ones in the "normal user"
upgrade path) rather than those which are important, but only affecting
the subset of users that use testing and can probably handle
instability/bad versioning better.

> Another thought I had was that instead of listing the owners of
> packages, we could actually list the person whom built the offending
> E:N-V-R breaker.  This is likely more interesting information anyway
> since the owner can change per branch and the owner often isn't the
> person doing the build anyway.

Sounds sensible.

Thanks again for working on this!

Tim