Intel moves moblin MIDs from Ubuntu to Fedora!

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 00:17:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool news. I look forward to the SIG, the spin and seeing Fedora
> on even more cool devices :-)
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/

Here's what's not clear.... is intel going to look to talk with us
about making this part of the larger Fedora project or is it going to
be a downstream derived distribution that will include components such
that it can not carry the Fedora name?  Or are they planning to just
leverage the existing Fedora distribution bits and do their own thing
in a way that isn't aligned with existing Fedora contribution
guidance? Have I missed a discussion concerning Moblin interaction
with Fedora in the "project" sense? If I have please point me to it so
I can read up.

A number of questions spring to mind, chief among them whether the new
Moblin can be incorporated under our secondary arch policy?  How
different is the Atom processor anyways?  If they are serious about
making this more attractive to developers, I think we need to have a
serious discussion about whether or not the technical work they are
doing can and should live under the Fedora project umbrella.
Can/Should Moblin be the part of the Fedora project aimed at mobile
devices? Sharing to some extent policy, best practices guidance, and
contributor-base.  Or should it sit outside our project completely?

-jef