livecd-creator unmounting temp image, running daemons.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 05:10:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> After a bit more investigation. the livecd-tools package in F9
> (017.1-1.fc9) can only build F9 correctly, and the problem boils down
> to incorrect placement of the .ko files in the initrd. Here is how to
> repro with F9 vs F7. In my testing, F8 shows the same problems.

I tracked this down to the switch from mayflower to mkinitrd, which
lead me to commit
11dbd0bb5ba4b845e80109e990e4e780ca402218 where mayflower gets
installed and called during %post.

So I updated my ks file as below. This still fails to build a bootable
F8 or F7, both drop to an emergency shell after failing to find root
(see below for more details). I am using git's master for these
builds.

Current kickstart file

--8<----8<----8<--
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone US/Eastern
auth --useshadow --enablemd5
selinux --disabled
firewall --disabled
part / --size 1024

repo --name=released
--mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=$basearch

%packages
@core
bash
kernel
passwd
policycoreutils
chkconfig
authconfig
rootfiles

# for live initrd
livecd-tools
# livecd bits to set up the livecd and be able to install
anaconda
#isomd5sum

%end

%post
# make the initrd we care about
rm -f /boot/initrd*.img
cp /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd /etc/mayflower.conf
ver=`ls /boot/vmlinuz* |head -n 1 |sed -e 's;/boot/vmlinuz-;;'`
/usr/lib/livecd-creator/mayflower -f /boot/initrd-$ver.img $ver
rm -f /etc/mayflower.conf
%end

%post --nochroot
# move the initrd we created to be the booted one
mv $INSTALL_ROOT/boot/initrd-*.img $LIVE_ROOT/isolinux/initrd0.img
%end
--8<----8<----8<--

With this ks file, the initrd is now built correctly. But during boot
with F8 I see all sorts of odd errors:

WARNING: Bogus /etc/fstab file - cannot have /dev/root as the device for /
starting udevd
creating devices
waiting for system to settle
SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, trying to mount newer 3.1 filesystem
SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel
mount: wrong fstype ...

Once on the shell, the dmesg output looks normal except for the
Squashfs errors, and ls /dev/ does not contain anything that looks
like a usable block device. Trying to mount /dev/loop0 gives me the
same squashfs error as before.

hmmmm? hints?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions