[packagekit] A PackageKit browser plugin

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 08:00:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 14:39 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> What do people think...

I think it looks great. Some comments tho:

* You are using gpk-install-package-name -- you probably don't want to
call the binary name, you want to call the InstallPackageName DBUS
method -- see http://www.packagekit.org/pk-faq.html#session-methods for
more info.

* You are using the libpackagekit Resolve() -- which is fine, but you're
using the status boolean to check for installed. It's perfectly valid
for PackageKit to emit installed foo-0.1.2, available foo-0.1.3 if there
is a package update available. Maybe one to check for.

* The destop file checking code is already present in gpk-client-run.c
-- maybe we can share some code there.

> does this make sense as part of the PackageKit project?

Yes, but the licence could be tricky. All of stuff in PackageKit has to
be (L)GPLv2+ -- I can't confess to being a licence expert, so I don't
know how MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1 would affect things.

Thanks!

Richard.