livecd-creator unmounting temp image, running daemons.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 15:06:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 17:10 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > After a bit more investigation. the livecd-tools package in F9
> > (017.1-1.fc9) can only build F9 correctly, and the problem boils down
> > to incorrect placement of the .ko files in the initrd. Here is how to
> > repro with F9 vs F7. In my testing, F8 shows the same problems.
>
> I tracked this down to the switch from mayflower to mkinitrd, which
> lead me to commit
> 11dbd0bb5ba4b845e80109e990e4e780ca402218 where mayflower gets
> installed and called during %post.

Yes, if you are building for newer than Fedora 9's mkinitrd, then you
have to do the initrd build by hand as you've done.  This is because
this had no place being in livecd-creator to begin with really.  I
updated the stock configs and put blinking warnings in the commit log
for that reason :-)

> WARNING: Bogus /etc/fstab file - cannot have /dev/root as the device for /

This is a warning that I should just kill.  In fact, done :-)

> starting udevd
> creating devices
> waiting for system to settle
> SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, trying to mount newer 3.1 filesystem
> SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel
> mount: wrong fstype ...

squashfs is (still) notorious about changing things, unfortunately --
although I'd think that the current F7 update kernel would have a new
enough squashfs in the kernel for the squashfs-tools.

Unfortunately, the only real way to be able to handle this is
1) Install an older version of squashfs-tools on your build host
2) Build your image without compression (--skip-compression)
3) Have a kernel with a newer squashfs kernel module

Jeremy