livecd-creator unmounting temp image, running daemons.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 19:30:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:01 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 16:25 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> When livecd-creator tries to unmount the CD, two processes are still
>> running - httpd, and a custom network daemon written in python. lsof
>> shows them as the only processes keeping files open. Once I kill those
>> processes, I can unmount cleanly.
>>
>> Is this expected?
>
> If you start a process in your %post, then you need to clean up after
> yourself at the end of %post

The custom network daemon I am ready to take blame for, but what is
intriguing is that httpd - from the standard httpd rpm - starts and is
left running. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

>> Are any incompatibilities with F7 known? Should
>> livecd-creator try to run all the relevant init scripts with stop, and
>> perhaps run lsof to see if any programs need to be killed or
>> kill-9'ed?
>
> How do you know what's relevant?  Packaging policy states (for reasons
> including this one) that services shouldn't be started in the %post of a
> package install.  Which means that it's something you're starting
> yourself.  Which means you need to kill it off also.

Hmmm. httpd might be buggy in that regard. We are also installing
mod_perl, mod_python and mod_php, any of those might be trying to
(incorrectly) reload httpd.

>> The boot failures (fails to load the kernel modules, and kills init)
>> probably have to do with the image being incomplete.
>
> Will leave this as a reply for some of your later mails...

- thanks!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions