great news for Asus eee users

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Mon Jul 28 22:35:33 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I have posted a question on ath5k wireless devel list on support for
> AR2425 (AR5007EG) chipset (one that Asus eee 701 has) and got an
> answer that the patches have been sent upstream. So when they got
> included Asus eee's wireless will work in Fedora out of the box,
> right?

Yes, they will be part of the main ath5k driver in the kernel. Here's the
patches in preparation, below: I believe he's submitted them to wireless
testing, so they are making their way up to the vanilla kernel.
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mickflemm/compat-wireless-2008-07-03-ath5k.tar.bz2

> This is a great news for me as a Asus eee user because wireless is the
> only part of Asus eee that isn't working out of the box on Fedora 9.
> For me as a future Fedora 10 user this is a great because Fedora 10
> will work on Asus eee out of the box, including working wireless.

The wireless is already working very well in Managed mode. I've been using it
for a week or so without problems. :)   In ad-hoc, it's not quite perfect yet,
but I can get two eees to talk each other.

-Jeff