latrace

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jul 29 13:27:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:34:02PM +0530, Rakesh Pandit wrote:
> 2008/7/29 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>:
> > Has anyone looked at packaging 'latrace', apparently a library call
> > tracer similar to strace?  I don't see it in Rawhide at the moment
> > anyway.
> >
> >  http://freshmeat.net/projects/latrace/
> >  http://latrace.sourceforge.net/
> >

> I too cannot see it in pkgdb nor can find any bugzilla review request.
>
> I will package it this weekend, if no one picks it up till then.

How is it different than ltrace?

>rpm -qif `which ltrace`
Name        : ltrace                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.5                               Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 10.45svn.fc9                  Build Date: Mon 10 Mar 2008 06:59:12 AM EDT
Install Date: Mon 07 Apr 2008 08:39:52 PM EDT      Build Host: xenbuilder1.fedora.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Debuggers         Source RPM: ltrace-0.5-10.45svn.fc9.src.rpm
Size        : 113682                           License: GPLv2+
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 10 Mar 2008 09:00:23 AM EDT, Key ID da84cbd430c9ecf8Packager    : Fedora Project
URL         : http://ltrace.alioth.debian.org/
Summary     : Tracks runtime library calls from dynamically linked executables
Description :
Ltrace is a debugging program which runs a specified command until the
command exits.  While the command is executing, ltrace intercepts and
records both the dynamic library calls called by the executed process
and the signals received by the executed process.  Ltrace can also
intercept and print system calls executed by the process.

You should install ltrace if you need a sysadmin tool for tracking the
execution of processes.