Calling on Fedora/RedHat ML managers to clean up Fedora-list.

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 09:16:51 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2008, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> It surely was on-topic here to talk about whether unfree binary blobs
>> should be included in Fedora.
>
> +1
>
> I wonder why nobody's complaining about all this traffic on this
> non-technical thread on a list that people complained was supposed to
> be restricted to technical content.  Heck, why was the discussion even
> started here?  Double standards, as usual?

Someone probably will...

>> Do we really want to say that if any ethical question arises during
>> discussion on Fedora lists, people may not address it?
>
> Seems like that's the general feeling of those who demand silence
> about it.

Some people really don't want to see any discussion of the political/
ethical issues around free software, I suppose, and what it banished
to a list they don't have to read.

More likely, however, is that people are using Thunderbird.  Thunderbird
doesn't by default have a "Delete Thread" button, so people are
forced to select all the messages of a huge thread and delete them.
Now you might argue that any mailer without a "Delete Thread" button
simply isn't fit for purpose, and I would find it hard to argue with
you, but that's the fact.

Andrew.