Anyone seeing serious network breakage in current Rawhide?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 16:44:42 UTC 2008

Just rebooted into a fully up to date Rawhide, and I'm experiencing
really odd network-related problems.

For example, ssh & scp work fine.

HTTP is totally broken: most web pages time out (either in DNS or
during page load), but occasionally I can get a whole webpage.  Tested
this in all of Firefox, Seamonkey and w3m, so I'm fairly sure it's not
just a broken Firefox.  I seem to have excluded local factors, such as
the router and network connection itself, since other machines in my
office work fine.

ping is OK with small and large packet sizes.

DNS lookups work fine from command line tools (eg. ping, ssh), but
fail quite a lot in browsers.

Linux thinkpad 2.6.27-0.186.rc0.git15.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Sun Jul 27 05:22:35 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The network is wireless, using iwl3945 driver, configured by
NetworkManager.  As far as I'm aware the kernel is untainted and there
is no non-free software installed on the machine.

Nothing very interesting in dmesg except some oopses in
sched_mc_power_savings_store which appear to be unrelated.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what to look at next ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top