Firefox and Moonlight (Mono) "Free Software" Status?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Jun 4 02:50:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Keith G. Robertson-Turner <
fedora at slated.org> wrote:

> 1. The decision to allow Mono to enter the tree seems to have been made
>   arbitrarily by Red Hat, with no community consultation, and in spite
>   of protests (including some by high profile Red Hat personnel -
>   mostly expressed as a rejection of Mono before the announcement).

I think you are entirely mischaracterizing what happened. General Fedora
policy is essentially a package is innocent until proven guilty. If it meets
packaging policy, it can go in. (Keep in mind, policy does cover licensing
and legal concerns) There was no decision to allow Mono in, rather, there
was a decision to keep it *out* for legal reasons. Those legal concerns were
addressed, thus Mono gets in by default.

High profile people can protest it all they want, but unless a solid legal
or technical issue can be presented, there's simply no grounds to disallow
it.

(Personally I'm a bit paranoid of Microsoft/C#/Mono myself, but I ♥ Tomboy.
I just wish I could sync my Tomboy notes with Google somehow...)