automating updates

Thomas Moschny thomas.moschny at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 08:24:31 UTC 2008

2008/6/16 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
> Am Sonntag, den 15.06.2008, 23:04 +0200 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:
>> Hmm... although I'm not much of a packager nor a frequent user of the
>> CVS system:
>>
>> common/cvs-import.sh -b devel -m "update to x.x.x" /path/to/srpm
>> common/cvs-import.sh -b F-9 -m "update to x.x.x" /path/to/srpm
>
> Jeroen, please don't do that. We had this discussion back in Feb 2007
> on the maintainers list, please search for the thread named "Discourage
> cvs-import (was: Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070222) FESCO meeting)".

Is using cvs-import for updating a package really discouraged?

It is *really* handy, compared to the series of single steps that are
to be done manually otherwise. Also, it does show a diff between old
and new spec and auxiliary files and gives you the possibility to
abort the import nowadays, so the main concern mentioned in that old
thread doesn't seem to be valid anymore.

Regards,
Thomas