PackageKit UI

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 21:05:20 UTC 2008

Bill Crawford wrote:
> 2008/6/13 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 16:02 +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
>>> Been using packagekit for Fedora 9, and I generally like what I see
>>> (good work!) things that I think can be improved/current problems:
>>>
>>> 1. Do NOT list multiple versions of the same package. I see that in
>>> current Fedora release too. At times the version numbers are not that
>>> easy to compare package-x.y.1.y vs package-x.y.y.1 makes a person
>>> think. Other times if both are uninstalled, selecting the wrong one
>>> will probably lead to an updated available applet anywway...
>> Sure. We've got a LATEST filter in PackageKit for this, but the yum
>> backend doesn't seem to support it. I might hack on that today on the
>> plane.
>>
>>> Solution: only list one - the latest one. If an update is available to
>>> the installed version, use the corresponding update icon
>>> (bugfix/enhancement/security) instead of an open or closed box.
>> Sane.
>
> Disagree. If you installed something from updates-testing and want to
> downgrade to original release or stable update, that should be listed
> too (with an option to downgrade, preferably presented exactly the way
> as for a newer one, but perhaps dimmed or something).

Perhaps it would be better not to list ANY updates available in the same
listings as the packages you're installing... but rather to add a new abstract
group 'Updates' to the left sub-menus.  The currently installed package would be
listed in its normal place, and any update to it would be listed in the
sub-group.  If you don't have it installed then only the newest available one
would be listed in the normal place.

To downgrade, you uninstall, turn off updates-testing, and then go install.
Nothing more obvious than this is needed for the downgrade case since its only
something software testers should need to do.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29