Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 15:36:52 UTC 2008

Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> Err, one library according to you, was unfree in the sense that you
>>> weren't
>>> allowed to change it in any way; to enhance it, or to fix bugs.
>> That's not an accurate description, although it did have a restriction
>> on distributing modified versions.  I could, of course, change my own
>> copy and submit bug fixes and enhancements to the author for
>> incorporation - or make the source modifications available separately
>> from the package.  The restriction was more about preventing broken
>> versions from being distributed than enhancements.
>
> Sure, but it had that effect, didn't it?  If you're not allowed to
> distribute modified versions without someone else's consent, it's not free
> (as in freedom) software.

It's not free the way the GPL redefines the word to mean restricted, but
it doesn't interfere with your freedom to distribute your changes as
patches, leaving it clear that it is something different from the
original author's work that he supports.  In more modern licenses, I'd
prefer the ones where you are permitted to modify independently and
distribute the forked copy if you change the package name, but it is
only in odd circumstances that it even matters or that there is any
effective difference.  Even in GPL circles I think most people agree
that the best process is to coordinate modifications into a single
revision tree instead of forking wildly.

>> There is the argument
>> that if the author/maintainer stops updating, the package can die.
>
> Quite.  And, indeed, that's the inevitable consequence.

It's not at all inevitable since the copyright holder can transfer
control at any time or might already be a foundation that will outlast
any possible use for the product.  But, in technology everyone is better
off when an old package does die and is replaced by something new and
improved, and the harm of the GPL is that it's 'work as a whole'
requirement makes it difficult or impossible for these replacements to
happen at the component level when the currently best component isn't
encumbered by the GPL.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com