CreatingPackageHowTo

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 16:14:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 00:21 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> David A. Wheeler wrote, at 07/01/2008 12:07 AM +9:00:
> > I think there that there is a real need for the
> > "CreatingPackageHowTo" page. The "RPM Guide" by
> > Eric Foster-Johnson is not a bad book, nor is "Maximum RPM". However...

> Have you looked at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines ?
> As you seem to be a new contributor, please also see:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join (all new contributors
> are supposed to see this wiki).

David's guide and the above guide are two different things and do not
serve the same role.  You can think of David's guide as a quick start,
hello-world version of how to create a good package.  The above listed
guide is more like the C Coding Style Reference Manual.  They simply
aren't intended for nor useful to the same audience.  And I happened to
find David's guide very well written and something that I think I would
point people new to rpm packaging to without problem.  I would expect
people new to rpm packaging to be overwhelmed and lost on the above
referenced guide.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194