This session is running as a privileged user box?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 17:46:14 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 08:50 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
>> But then why does root's GUI profile have things like a browser or
>> games or stuff like that?  Stuff you should never run as root?
>
> These are valid questions. I know there was some discussion about making
> the root GUI session a super-minimal session, but I'm not sure where it
> went from there.
>
> ~spot

Perhaps a normal user account should always be created during installation
without any feedback (choice of username/passwd) which can only be logged in to
from the local console.  Such a user could be the 'I need to do initial maint'
account rather than root... and still need the root password to make changes.

Something like 'fedora/fedora' for user/pass which is always created and needs
to be disabled once installed.

Once another normal user is created, the 'fedora' user could be automatically
removed (perhaps by firstboot once users are created)?

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29