no updates?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 07:14:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 09:13:15 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 11:32 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:33:43 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Wrong list? You seem to refer to F9 => fedora-list not
> > fedora-devel-list.
> >
> > > since some days I get absolutely no updates.
> >
> > Are they available on your favourite mirror already?
> > Or do you use the mirrorlist?
>
> I've had this same problem a couple of times.  You'll see updates coming
> in in email to fedora-test-list and then after a couple of days you'll
> notice that the updates never happened.
>
> If I then yum clean all the updates work as soon as I run yum update
> manually.
>
> I think there might be a bug here, but haven't got any idea how to test
> for it, and haven't got around to reporting it either.

You can test for it by examining the cached metadata files below
/var/cache/yum/updates. Start with the timestamp on "cachecookie". Only if
old enough, Yum loads new metadata. [The default is 1800 seconds in
yum.conf's metadata_expire= value.] Compare timestamp of "repomd.xml" with
the mirror that is assigned to you (file "mirrorlist.txt". Recent Yum
versions ignore mirrors that offer repomd.xml files which are older than
what you've got in your cache. This way you can find mirrors which don't
sync daily.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.21 1.17 0.74