Networkmanager service is shutdown too early

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Jun 1 14:07:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 09:14 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 16:49 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 03:33:37PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > DBus is not the same as any other random software because it is explicitly
> > > designed to provide reliable communication *between* components, much like
> > > the kernel.  If you restart it at random times that reliability guarantee is
> > > destroyed.
> >
> > So the questions you should ask are
> > - Why does restarting dbus have to be unreliable
>
> It's a communication pipe; restarting D-Bus itself is reliable becuase
> it's just like TCP.  Its the transport.  But making what gets
> _transported_ reliable is the kicker.
>
> It's exactly like all those Cingular/AT&T dropped call commercials from
> a while ago:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=DR26BZUo3Dk
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=GEd3pS1jXJ4
> http://www.spike.com/video/2839248 (spoof)

Except that in the case of NM, instead of being a one-to-one
conversation like these, it's like NM is the foreman of a construction
site, and just because his/her conversation to each one of the
bulldozer, crane, and structure welders drops because the cell company
had an outage at the base station his/her phone is patched through,
doesn't mean that when the outage is over, that s/he can just assume
that what the bulldozer, crane, and welders did in the mean time was
exactly what needed to happen.  S/He needs to go and verify that
everything is exactly like s/he expects it, except s/he can't yell "All
Stop!" but has to check and verify everything while the work keeps
going.  Not simple.

Dan