rpmreaper

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:22:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 16:18 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>> From the
>> description of the OP, it looks like it doesn't do dependency
>> resolution, just rpm -e, so there is no behaviour to keep consistent.
>
> /me boggles.

Looking at the man page in the tarball it looks like there *is* some
reinvention of the wheel but only for the simpler matter of figuring
out what dependencies to remove.

You could argue about the utility of such a tool and what programming
language/libraries it uses (and I would agree with you for what its
worth) but is that really relevant to reviewing it for acceptance into
Extras?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines doesn't say
anything about not reinventing the wheel and if it did we wouldn't
have a lot of things people feel pretty passionately about (redundant
desktop environments, search tools, editors ... you name the flamewar)
and Fedora would be a pretty stagnant distro.

Man file stripped of formatting:
rpmreaper - A tool for removing unnecessary packages from system

rpmreaper is a simple ncurses application with a mutt-like interface that
allows removing unnecessary packages and their dependencies from the system.

List installed packages.
List leaf packages.
List partial leaf packages.
List broken packages.
Verbose listing.

Mark the highlighted package to be removed.
Mark the highlighted package to be removed even when there are
packages that depend on
the package.
Unmark the highlighted package.
Unmark the highlighted package even when some dependencies are marked
to be removed.
Show/hide subtree of packages that are required by the highlighted package.
Show/hide subtree of packages that require the highlighted package.
Sort packages by name, flags or size.
Run rpm -qi | less on the highlighted package.
Run rpm -e on marked packages.
Run rpm -e --nodeps on marked packages.
Ask to remove marked packages and quit.
Exit immediately.

PACKAGE FLAGS
Leaf, no package depends on the package.
Partial leaf, some packages may depend on the package and removing the package
may remove flag from other packages.
Marked to be removed.
Missing dependencies.
Some packages required by the package are marked to be removed.