rpmreaper

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 07:17:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:18:31PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 04:27:40PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > It is very hard to remove python from a fedora system and have a
> > functional (or even quasi-functional system) so why don't we start with
> > that given.
>
> Nothing really important requires python (though a lot of packages
> indeed requires it, including some that I wouldn't have thought they
> required it, like tex vim-enhanced, subversion), while the libc and
> ncurse are essential (required by bash for instance) so it is perfectly
> right to code basic tasks in C and avoid python.

Right, we should mainly focus on functionality. I was able to remove
~200 packages from my system saving ~3G of space without breaking of
my system. The minimal dependency overhead is just a kind bonus as
soon as embedding all of the depsolving machinery is not needed here.

...and it was kind of funny to hunt for useless packages as rpmreaper
allows to see immediatelly which packages could be removed after
removing a particular one. That was especially funny when checking the
perl-* and mono-* stuff :)

It would be nice to see an upstream of it somewhere.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/