Packaging question: /usr/share/gnome/help ownership

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 9 22:01:14 UTC 2008

Michel Alexandre Salim <salimma <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> So make yelp Provides: gnome-help-viewer and have packages that have
> help files require it instead? That way, live CDs can override this by
> having a stub package. Ditto with kdebase-runtime providing kde-help-viewer

And what would that broken hack gain us over the GNOME live image simply
pulling in yelp explicitly if they aren't already doing that? I don't think
making packages think a dependency is there when it actually isn't is the right
way to solve problems like this, help won't be any more available with a dummy
yelp than with none at all.

> (hm, sounds like the next thing for FD.o to standardize: help viewing)

That would of course help, but not in the short term.

        Kevin Kofler